Will You Be Deported for Committing a Crime?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
Does Committing a Crime Get You Deported From the U.S.?

If you’re in the U.S. but you’re not a citizen, a conviction could get you deported from the U.S.

The Department of Homeland Security has recently said it is focusing immigration enforcement efforts on the removal of convicted criminals, which means even if you believe the crime you committed was minor, your case could be one that results in deportation.

Crimes That Can Cause Removal 

U.S. immigration law outlines several types of crimes that can get you removed from the U.S., including:

  • Crimes of moral turpitude, which is an act that is “base, depraved, dishonest or vile.” That can include murder, rape, fraud, arson, DUI and a number of other crimes.
  • Aggravated felonies, such as murder, rape and other violent crimes. Theft, drug trafficking or firearm trafficking, sexual abuse and child pornography convictions are also usually considered aggravated felonies.
  • Drug crimes, including selling, distributing and possession.
  • Firearm-related crimes, such as illegally buying, selling, owning or carrying a firearm, weapon or other destructive device.
  •  Domestic violence against a current or former spouse, the other parent of a child or someone with whom you live (or lived) with.
  • Crimes against the U.S. or other citizens, such as treason, espionage or terrorism.

Do You Need to Talk to an Attorney About Deportation After Committing a Crime?

A Milwaukee immigration attorney can answer your questions about deportation and may be able to represent you during removal proceedings. If you need to talk to an immigration lawyer about your case, call us right away at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700 to set up your confidential consultation.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Does Committing a Crime Get You Deported From the U.S. - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

If you commit a crime and you’re not a U.S. citizen, you could be deported and asked not to return for a certain period of time. (Further, if you’re deported, you can’t “undo” your deportation and come back; you have to start the application process from scratch, which is why many people contact a Milwaukee immigration attorney who understands the law and what to do to start the process for lawful permanent residency in the U.S.)

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the