What is an M-1 Visa for Students?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
The M-1 visa category allows students to enroll in a vocational or nonacademic program, other than language training. It’s different from the F-1 student visa because that category allows students to enter the U.S. as full-time students working toward a degree, diploma or certificate.

The M-1 visa is for full-time study, which is defined as at least 18 hours of study per week. You must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your course, and that you intend to return to your home country once you’re done with your studies.

If you have an M-1 visa, you can’t engage in practical training until you have completed your studies. However, you can work off-campus provided that your job relates to your areas of study and your work is authorized by the designated school official who maintains the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, or SEVIS, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

There’s a different application process for people who are currently visiting the U.S. and want to enroll in school (such as those on B-1 or B-2 visas), so make sure you provide your immigration attorney with your current visa status if you are interested in applying under the M-1 visa program.

If you have a spouse or an unmarried child under the age of 21, he or she can apply for an M-2 visa to join you in the U.S. However, your spouse can’t accept employment or enroll in school without getting an appropriate work or student visa. (Kids are entitled to attend primary or secondary school in the U.S., though.)

Do You Need to Talk to an Immigration Lawyer About an M-1 Visa?

If you have questions about the M-1 visa program or you’d like to apply with an immigration lawyer’s help, call us at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700. If it’s easier, contact us online to set up your consultation with a local immigration lawyer who can help.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
What is an M-1 Visa for Students - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

An M-1 visa for vocational students may be exactly what you need to immigrate to the U.S. – but what is it, how does it work, and who is eligible to apply for it? For many people, it makes sense to work with an immigration lawyer in Milwaukee or Waukesha who can help with the process and answer any questions they have along the way.

What is an M-1 Visa?
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the