What is a Green Card (And How Do I Get One)?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
What is a Green Card?

A green card is an identification card that makes a person a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. If you have one, it shows that you have official permission to reside in the U.S. and to take employment here.

How Do I Get a Green Card?

There are different ways to obtain a green card, depending on your situation.

Typically, you can get a green card:
  • Through family
  • Through a job
  • Through refugee or asylee status

Obtaining a Green Card Through Family

You may be eligible to get a green card if you are:

  • An immediate relative of a current U.S. citizen, which can include spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizens over the age of 21
  • A family member of a U.S. citizen who fits into a “preference” category, including unmarried children over the age of 21, married children of any age, and siblings of U.S. citizens aged 21 or over
  • A family member of a green card holder, including spouses and unmarried children of the green card holder
  • A member of a special category, such as battered spouses or children, a K nonimmigrant, a V nonimmigrant, a person born to a foreign diplomat in the U.S., or a widow or widower of a U.S. citizen

Obtaining a Green Card Through a Job

You could be eligible for a green card based on an offer of permanent employment in the U.S., through investments that create new U.S. jobs, or through self-petition as an “Alien of Extraordinary Ability.” You may also apply based on your current job if it fits in a special category, such as:

  • Afghan/Iraqi interpreter
  • Broadcaster
  • Employee of an international organization
  • Iraqi who assisted the U.S. government
  • Nato-6 nonimmigrants
  • Panama Canal employee
  • Physician
  • Religious Worker

Obtaining a Green Card as a Refugee or Asylee

If you’re here as a refugee or you’re a qualifying family member of an asylee (someone who has been granted asylum in the U.S.), you may be eligible to apply for a green card.

Do You Need to Talk to a Waukesha Immigration Lawyer?

If you need to talk to a Waukesha immigration lawyer who may be able to help you apply for a green card, call us at 262-650-6700 or 414-383-6700 right away.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
What is a Green Card - Waukesha Green Card Lawyer
By Carlos Gamino

Many people have heard the term green card, but what is it? Does it make you a legal permanent resident of the U.S., and what are the benefits of having a green card?

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the