What Are the Rights and Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens
Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog
Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI 53204 | 414-383-6700
you navigate through the process.
Rights and Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens
Every U.S. citizen, whether they were born here or were naturalized, has a certain set of rights and responsibilities. The rights citizens enjoy are inalienable – that means that nobody can ever take them away from you.
Rights of U.S. Citizens
As a U.S. citizen, you will have several rights – including:
- The freedom to express yourself
- The right to a fair, prompt trial by jury
- The right to apply for federal employment that requires U.S. citizenship
- The right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
- The right to run for office
- The right to vote in elections
Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens
U.S. citizens have a number of responsibilities (most of them civic), including:
- To support and defend the U.S. Constitution
- Defend the U.S. if the need arises
- Participate in the democratic process
- Pay income taxes honestly
- Respect and obey federal, state and local laws
- Respect the beliefs and rights of others
- Serve on a jury if called upon
Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer?
If you’re thinking about becoming a U.S. citizen, you could benefit from working with an immigration attorney in Milwaukee who understands the whole process, who can answer your questions, and who can help you prepare for the application process.
If you’re like many people, you have a green card and you want to become a U.S. citizen. While the process takes time, it can be a rewarding one – but as a U.S. citizen, you’ll have several rights and responsibilities that you wouldn’t otherwise have.
DEDICATED TO PROTECTING YOUR RIGHTS
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO TALK TO AN ATTORNEY