Temporary Protected Status for Haitians

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
  • Environmental disaster (like a hurricane or earthquake)
  • Other “extraordinary” conditions

When nationals from a country on the TPS list are present in the U.S., if they’re eligible, they’re not removable from the U.S., they can get employment authorization, and they may be granted travel authorization.

The U.S. government has offered temporary protected status to Haitians in the U.S. since the country’s 2010 earthquake, and although the country is not prepared to welcome back its citizens, Haiti is coming off the TPS list on July 22, 2019.

So what does that mean for Haitian nationals who are currently in the U.S.?

Haitians who currently live here have until March 19 to re-register for TPS status, which will allow them to remain here in the U.S. until the program expires next summer.

For many people, though, moving to Haiti is going to be a tough adjustment – many of the people who will be forced to leave will have to start fresh in a strange country, such as people who were children upon arriving in the U.S. and are now adults.

What Can You Do About Obtaining Legal Status?

If you’re currently in the U.S. legally, or if you’re considering immigrating here and becoming a citizen, talking to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer may be helpful. Our attorneys can answer your questions and help determine what your best course of action is on the path to U.S. citizenship. 

Call us at 414-383-6700 (Milwaukee) or 262-650-6700 (Waukesha), or schedule an appointment by contacting us online today.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Temporary Protected Status for Haitians - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

Haiti is on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ “Temporary Protected Status” list, which means that nationals from that country can be present in the U.S.

The secretary of Homeland Security can designate a country for temporary protected status when that country has temporary conditions like:

Ongoing armed conflict
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the