Immigrating to the U.S. based on Family Ties
Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog
Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI 53204 | 414-383-6700
Who Qualifies to Immigrate to the U.S. Based on Family Ties?
Generally, immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are eligible under the program. Additionally, the family preference system helps other family members come to the U.S. under the family-based immigration program.
Immediate family members are:
- Unmarried children under 21 years of age
- Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen
- Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
- Parent of a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old
Family preference immigrant visas are available to:
- Unmarried children of U.S. citizens and their minor children (23,400 visas available annually)
- Spouses, minor children and unmarried children over the age of 21 of lawful permanent residents (114,200 visas available annually)
- Married children of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children (23,400 visas available annually)
- Siblings of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children as long as the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years old (65,000 visas available annually)
Extended family members can’t use the family-based immigration programs. These people are ineligible to sponsor relatives for immigration:
How to Bring Your Family Members to the U.S.
If your family members fall into any of these categories, you may be able to bring them here through the family ties programs. In most cases, it’s a good idea to work with a Milwaukee immigration lawyer who knows the ropes when it comes to visa requirements and laws. Your attorney can help make sure all of your paperwork is correct, which will help move the process along smoothly, and ensure that you’re not missing any of the vital components you need to get the right visas for your family members. Most people who immigrate to the U.S. come for work or family, and if you have family here, you should know that there are an unlimited number of immediate relative immigrant visas available every year.
DEDICATED TO PROTECTING YOUR RIGHTS
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO TALK TO AN ATTORNEY