How to Stop Removal Proceedings

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
The laws are somewhat complicated, though, so for most people, it makes sense to talk to a Milwaukee immigration attorney when they’re facing deportation or removal proceedings.

What Are Removal Proceedings?

The term removal proceedings refers to the process that the USCIS uses to determine whether an individual can be removed from the U.S. based on current immigration law. These proceedings typically take place in immigration court under an immigration judge.

Under U.S. immigration law, “an alien placed in proceedings…. may be charged with any applicable ground of inadmissibility… or any applicable ground of deportability” as part of removal proceedings.

If the court determines the person is removable from the U.S., he or she will be deported back to his or her country of origin.

Why Can Someone Be Removed From the U.S.?

There are several reasons the USCIS may initiate removal proceedings, including:

  • Failure to obey the terms of your visa
  • Failure to advices USCIS of your change of address
  • The commission of a crime
  • Violation of any immigration laws
  • Receiving public assistance

How to Fight Removal Proceedings 

If you’ve been notified that you’re facing removal proceedings, you may be able to stop the proceedings. It’s typically a good idea to talk to a Milwaukee or Waukesha immigration attorney who understands immigration law and how it applies in your case; if necessary, your attorney can go to court and argue on your behalf. Your lawyer may be able to stop the removal proceedings by using a number of defenses.

Call us at 414-383-6700 if you’re in Milwaukee or 262-650-6700 if you’re in Waukesha. We’ll evaluate your situation and begin developing a strategy to help you stop removal proceedings so you can remain in the U.S.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Can You Stop Deportation - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, may be able to deport you from the U.S. if you aren’t a citizen. (If you’ve been naturalized, you’re a citizen.)

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the