How to Interview Divorce Lawyers in Milwaukee
Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog
Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI 53204 | 414-383-6700
What many people don’t realize, though, is that you have the right to interview divorce lawyers before you make a hiring decision. Not every lawyer is cut from the same cloth (particularly when it comes to personality), and you’ll be more comfortable with some than you are with others.
How to Interview Divorce Lawyers
It’s important that you’re comfortable with your divorce lawyer, and that you’re comfortable with his or her level of experience in family law cases. There are several aspects to family law, from child custody to alimony, and you need to be confident in your attorney’s abilities based on the types of help you’ll need. Ideally, you’ll be able to sit down with your potential attorney and ask several questions (and don’t worry—the best divorce attorneys want to make sure that you work well together, too). You can ask:
- What kind of strategy could you use for my case?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- How can I reach you if I have an emergency?
- How long does it take you to respond to phone calls and emails?
- Are other people in the firm going to be working on my case?
- What is your hourly rate, and what is your retainer fee?
- What other costs do you expect to be involved in my case?
- Do you have an estimate of how much this case will cost?
- Will I negotiate with my ex-spouse through you, or will we communicate directly?
- How do you think the judge will rule in my case, based on the facts you have?
Most lawyers will have a tough time giving you an estimate on how much your case will cost, and that’s normal; that’s because every case is different. If you and your ex basically agree throughout the process, things will go much more smoothly (and cost less). However, if you can’t agree and must defer judgment to the judge in your case, particularly when it comes to division of property and child custody, you’ll have to spend additional time in court—and you may end up paying more as a result.
Do You Need to Interview Divorce Lawyers in Milwaukee?
We welcome your questions, so please, feel free to call us at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700. You can also contact us online to tell us about your case, and we’ll schedule your free initial consultation when it fits into your schedule.
DEDICATED TO PROTECTING YOUR RIGHTS
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin
COMPLETE THIS FORM TO TALK TO AN ATTORNEY