How to Come to the U.S. as a Student

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
answer their questions along the way.

What is a Student Visa to Come to the U.S.?

There are two types of student visas you can use to come to the U.S.: an F-1 Visa for academic students and an M-1 Visa for vocational students.

F-1 Student Visas

You may be allowed to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited:

  • College
  • University
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Academic high school
  • Elementary school
  • Language training program
  • Other academic institution

With an F-1 Visa, you must be enrolled in a course of study or program that ends in your receipt of a degree, diploma, or certificate. The school you attend must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students, as well.

M-1 Student Visas

M-1 Visas allow vocational students to come to the U.S. for vocational or other nonacademic programs (not counting language training, which is covered under the F-1 Visa program).

Working on a Student Visa

If you receive a student visa, either F-1 or M-1, you may be able to work while you’re here in the U.S.

If you have an F-1 visa, you cannot work off-campus during your first academic year, but you can work for your academic institution as long as you meet certain conditions. After your first year, you can take a job doing curricular practical training, optional practical training, or STEM practical training.

If you’re an M-1 student, you can only engage in practical training after you’ve completed your studies.

Do You Need to Talk to a Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer?

If you’re thinking about coming to the U.S. on a student visa, our Milwaukee immigration lawyers may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 or 262-650-6700. You can also get in touch with our immigration attorneys online if it’s easier.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
How to Come to the U.S. as a Student - Milwaukee Immigration Attorney
By Carlos Gamino

If you're a student, you may be able to study here in the U.S. by getting a student visa.

But what is a student visa, and how do you get one? Many people choose to work with a Milwaukee immigration attorney to smooth out the process and
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the