How to Apply for Naturalization in the U.S.

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
  • 30 months or more out of the past 5 years
  • Have not taken a yearlong trip outside the U.S.
  • Reside in the district or state in which you’re applying for naturalization for at least the past 3 months
  • Be able to read, write and speak basic English
  • Know the fundamentals of U.S. history, as well as the form and principles of the U.S. government
  • Be a person of good moral character
  • Register with the Selective Service if applicable
  • Have never deserted from the U.S. Armed Forces, or received an exemption or discharge on the grounds that you are an alien
  • Be willing to perform military or civilian service for the U.S. if required by law
  • Agree to support the U.S. Constitution
  • Be willing to take an oath of allegiance to the U.S.

But how do you apply for naturalization if you do qualify? Here’s a quick guide.

How to Apply for U.S. Naturalization if You Qualify

For most people, it makes sense to work with a Milwaukee immigration attorney who understands your needs. Your lawyer can prepare your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and submit it to the appropriate agency. From there, you may need to go to a biometrics appointment.

Finally, you’ll have to complete your interview to complete the naturalization process. From there, USCIS will issue its decision, which will be:

  • Granted. In this case, you are eligible for naturalization.
  • Continued. In this case, the USCIS can continue your application if you need to provide more documentation, or if you fail the English or civics test the first time.
  • Denied. In this case, you are not eligible for naturalization.

If your application is granted, you’ll receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Once you take it, you’ll officially become a U.S. citizen.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Naturalization?

Working with a lawyer when you qualify for naturalization can make the process easier for you – your immigration attorney will handle the paperwork, which can be complicated and confusing.

If you need to talk to a Milwaukee immigration lawyer, we may be able to help you. Call us at 414-383-6700 to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys today.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
How to Apply for Naturalization in the U.S. - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

If you’re not a U.S. citizen by birth or you didn’t acquire citizenship through your parents, you may be eligible for U.S. citizenship. In order to qualify, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a permanent resident of the U.S. for longer than the past 3 years
  • Have not been outside the U.S. for 
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the