U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
No two cases are the same, though, so many people choose to work with a Waukesha immigration lawyer who understands the law and who can help smooth out the application process.

The Path to U.S. Citizenship

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS, is in charge of the citizenship process in the U.S. The most common ways for people to gain citizenship in the U.S. include:

  • Holding a green card and being in the U.S. military
  • Holding a green card and being a U.S. resident for at least 5 years

If you’re neither married to a U.S. citizen or part of the military, you can still apply for naturalization.

Who Qualifies for Naturalization in the U.S.?

If you intend to live in the U.S. as a permanent resident and wish to apply for naturalization, you can’t do it immediately. Before you can apply for naturalization, you must:

  • Be over 18 when you file
  • Hold a green card for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date you file
  • Live in the state or USCIS district from which you’re applying for at least 3 months before you file
  • Be able to show continuous residence in the U.S. for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date you file
  • Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months of the preceding 5 years
  • Stay in the U.S. from the date of your application until the time of your naturalization
  • Read, write, and speak English

Do You Need to Talk to a Waukesha Immigration Lawyer About Naturalization?

Even if you haven’t yet applied for a green card, it can be a good idea to talk to a Waukesha immigration lawyer who can give you advice on how to become a naturalized citizen of the U.S.

Call us at 262-650-6700 to speak to someone in our Waukesha office or at 414-383-6700 if you’re in Milwaukee. You can also contact us online. We’ll be happy to discuss your needs and give you legal advice you can use on your path to U.S. citizenship.

Carlos Gamino

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
U.S. Citizenship Through Naturalization - Waukesha Immigration Lawyer
By Carlos Gamino

There are many ways to become a U.S. citizen. You can become naturalized through a number of avenues if you’re eligible, whether you’re serving in the U.S. military to get citizenship or you’re a green card holder married to a U.S. citizen.

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the