How Long Can You Leave the U.S. With a Green Card?

Can You Seek Asylum in the U.S.?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution. Typically, that persecution is related to:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinions

Although asylum is closely related to refugee status, asylum is only granted to people who are already inside the United States. You can only meet the standards for asylum if you also meet the definition of a refugee. You must ask for asylum at a port of entry or file an application for asylum within one year of your arrival in the U.S., except in special circumstances.

Can You Apply for Asylum Regardless of Your Immigration Status?

You can apply for asylum in the U.S. no matter what your immigration status is – even if you are in the U.S. illegally – provided that you meet the definition of a refugee.

Do You Need to Talk to a Lawyer About Asking for Asylum in the U.S.?

While there’s no guarantee on asylum status – you must apply and wait for a decision before you can be sure of anything – we may be able to help you ask for asylum in the U.S. 

Get in touch with us online to set up a time for a consultation with a Milwaukee immigration attorney. Tell us about your situation and your country of origin so we can begin putting together a strategy that gets you the best possible outcome.

Carlos Gamino 

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Can I Seek Asylum in the U.S. - Carlos Gamino
By Carlos Gamino

Some people can seek asylum in the U.S., which means they’re permitted to come to the United States under special circumstances. But what is asylum, and how do you get it?

What is Asylum in the U.S.?

Asylum is something that can be granted to people who are already in the U.S. and are unable – or unwilling – to return to their home country because of
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the