Can My Fiance Immigrate Here?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
It’s not a simple process, so many people choose to work with a Wisconsin immigration lawyer who’s familiar with the proper procedures and the laws surrounding the complex requirements.

Qualifications for a Fiancé Visa

Before you start the visa petition process, make sure you can answer the following questions with a yes:
  • Do you two plan to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival? 
  • Have you physically met your fiancé at least once in the past 2 years? (If not, you might qualify for an exception by proving it would be extremely difficult to come together, either for financial or cultural reasons, before marriage.)
  • Is your fiancé legally able to marry you in the U.S.? 

Once the USCIS grants your soon-to-be spouse a fiancé visa, he or she can enter and remain in the U.S. for 90 days so your marriage can take place. 

After the marriage ceremony, your spouse can apply for permanent residency status in the U.S. Your fiancé may also apply for a work permit that will be valid for 90 days. 

What to Give Your Lawyer When You’re Applying for a Fiancé Visa

You, your fiancé and any children who will be immigrating will need plenty of documentation. Your Milwaukee immigration attorney will probably ask you to bring:
  • Passports
  • Death or divorce certificates relating to previous spouses
  • Police certificates (the equivalent of background checks) for your fiancé and any children over 16
  • Two current photographs
  • Evidence that a relationship exists between you and your fiancé
  • Medical exam results

Even if your fiancé can legally immigrate to Wisconsin, be aware that the process of applying for and receiving a fiancé visa may take several months if the paperwork is filed correctly, and even longer if you have to resubmit your request. 

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Can My Fiance Immigrate - Wisconsin Immigration Lawyers
- Attorney Carlos Gamino

U.S. citizens engaged to citizens of other countries can bring their fiancés to Wisconsin by submitting a bundle of paperwork: a fiancé visa petition, various application forms, the results of medical exams and copies of fingerprints of both parties. 
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the