Can I Get Out of Paying Child Support?

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
have very good reasoning.

How the Courts Determine Child Support

The courts are bound by a formula that states how much child support the non-custodial parent must pay. Support is calculated on the parent’s pre-tax income, and typically, it looks like this:

  • 17 percent for one child
  • 25 percent for two children
  • 29 percent for three children
  • 31 percent for four children
  • 34 percent for five or more children

You can use our Wisconsin child support calculator to get an exact figure if you’re trying to make room in your budget for child support, but keep in mind that only a judge can rule on the exact amount of child support that you must pay or that you will receive.

Can You Get Out of Paying Child Support in Wisconsin?

Because the courts determine the amount of child support you must pay after looking at your gross monthly income, and because a judge will issue a court order that states you must pay it, you cannot simply avoid paying it without violating the judge’s order.
However, if your child support is too high based on extenuating circumstances, or if you’ve lost your job, incurred new expenses or your financial situation has somehow changed, you can ask the judge to look at your case again. You cannot just stop paying child support, though; there is a legal route you must take in order to change the amount on your court order.

If you have reason to believe that you are paying too much, talk to a Milwaukee child support lawyer who may be able to help.

Sign InView Entries
What do you think of the information on this topic?Strongly Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Strongly Disagree
Can I Get Out of Paying Child Support - Milwaukee Custody Lawyers
By Carlos Gamino

Wisconsin’s child support laws are very specific when they break down which parent pays child support and the amount that parent is required to pay. Naturally, the courts allow some leeway for extenuating circumstances, but if you’re trying to get out of paying child support in the state of Wisconsin, you’ll need to 

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the