My Ex is on Drugs - How Do I Change My Custody and Placement Order? : Legal Articles from Gamino Law Offices, LLC

Stay Current with Relevant Issues by an Immigration, Divorce & Criminal Lawyer in Milwaukee, WI

My Ex is on Drugs - How Do I Change My Custody and Placement Order?

by Gamino Law Offices on 04/24/14

Milwaukee Family Law Attorney 

As a parent, you know what’s best for your children – and keeping them out of harm’s way is just a natural instinct. If you suspect (or if you have solid proof) that your ex is on drugs, he or she probably shouldn’t be alone with your kids. However, navigating the Wisconsin court system can be difficult; that’s why it’s generally a good idea to consult with a Wisconsin family law attorney as soon as possible.

What to Do if Your Ex is on Drugs

It doesn’t matter if your ex is a habitual marijuana smoker, a cocaine user or a heroin addict – when he or she is under the influence of illicit drugs or prescription pills, your children aren’t receiving the kind of care they deserve.

If you have any proof that your ex is abusing drugs, make sure you bring it to your lawyer’s attention. Even if you simply suspect your ex is using illegal substances, tell your attorney why you think so. Things such as a past history of drug use, odd or erratic behavior, and other key symptoms might give you that impression, and it’s important that you share those things with your lawyer.

How to Change Your Custody or Placement Order when Your Ex is on Drugs

You’re allowed to change your custody order at any time if you and your ex agree to it. In order for your new agreement to be enforceable, it has to be approved by the court. Unfortunately, in many cases that involve substance abuse by either parent, it’s tough to come to a mutual agreement.

When two ex-spouses disagree on the custody and placement of their children, they can go before the court and request a review. The parent who wants the change must show that there has been a significant change of circumstances and that the change would be in the kids’ best interests. Your lawyer will help you through the entire process and present your case to the judge.

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

Wisconsin Criminal Law Blog

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Recent Articles
Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I reviewed the