A Waukesha and Milwaukee, WI immigration lawyer from Gamiño Law Offices, LLC is proud to be a part of the immigration process for anyone wanting to obtain lawful permanent residency in the United States.  We appreciate that obtaining a green card is the holy grail of immigration, providing the right to live and work in the US on a permanent basis, with opportunities to build upon personal and financial ambitions and take part in the American dream for you and your family.  Contact us to find out if you, a loved one, or a potential employee, is eligible to immigrate to the United States as a lawful permanent resident.
For an initial consultation with a Milwaukee immigration attorney doing their best to help with your immigration issues or concerns, contact us today.  Also visit our immigration law resources page.  We have Wisconsin lawyers in Milwaukee and Waukesha available to help with all your other legal needs.  

US Green Card Attorneys in Milwaukee & Waukesha, WI

Helping Immigrants Obtain Lawful Permanent Residency

How become a Legal Permanent Resident (LRP) in the United States:

​What are the possible basis to obtain a United States green card?
  • Family based immigration options:  family sponsored immigration petitions must be filed by a relative who is a US citizen or legal permanent resident using an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative form.  Eligible family members include a fiancé(e) or spouse of a US citizen, children or step-children of a US citizen, parents or siblings of a US citizen age 21 or over,  and a spouse or unmarried children of a green card holder.
  • Employment based immigration options:  work sponsored immigration categories must generally be filed by your employer using an I-140, Petition for Alien Worker form.  Entrepreneurs can file for themselves if they plan to make a significant financial investment in a business venture using an I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur form.  

Milwaukee Immigration Attorney
Reasonable Fees and Payment Plans Available
Hablamos Español
Immigration Lawyers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wisconsin Green Card Immigration Lawyers
  • Afghan or Iraqi nationals who supported the U.S. Armed Forces as a translator
  • Amerasians
  • American Indian Born in Canada
  • Amnesty under INA 245A for certain illegal aliens who entered before 1982
  • Armed Forces Member
  • Asylum 
  • Broadcaster
  • Crime Victims
  • Cuban Native or Citizen
  • Diversity Lottery
  • Foreign Diplomat or Child Born in the US to a foreign diplomat
  • Haitian Refugee
  • Indochinese Refugee (certain individuals from Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos)
  • International Organization Employee, Spouse and Children
  • Iraqi who assisted the US Government in Iraq
  • Juvenile Court Dependent
  • Lautenberg Parolee (certain individuals from the former Soviet Union, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
  • Law Enforcement Witness or Informant
  • NACARA (certain individuals from Guatemala, El Salvador, and former Soviet Union)
  • NATO employees, spouses and children
  • Panama Canal Company Employees, Canal Zone Government employee, U.S. Government in the Canal Zone employee,
  • Physician
  • Refugee
  • Registry (certain individuals present in the US since 1972)
  • Religious Worker
  • Victim of domestic violence​ who is the spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
  • Victim of Human Trafficking
  • Widow or widower of deceased U.S. citizen
What are the steps to obtaining a Green Card?
The process for obtaining lawful permanent residency in the United States varies based on whether you currently live in a foreign country or within the United States, and depending on your eligibility category.    For information on obtaining a green card:

Do I need to renew my Green Card?
Permanent residency is granted for a term of 10 years, renewable thereafter. 
  •  If you are a permanent resident without conditions you may renew your green card at any time within 6 months of the expiration date if you are in the United States.  
  • If you are permanent resident without conditions and you are planning to leave the United States within 6 months of the expiration of your green card you should apply to renew it before you leave.  
  • If you are a permanent resident without conditions and you are outside the United States for less than a year and you will return before your green card expires, then you should renew your green card upon your return.  

What do I do if lost my Green Card?
You must replace your green card if you lose it.  According to federal law, every alien in the United States over age 18 is required to carry a certificate of alien registration (green card/permanent resident card) at all times and failure to have it in his/her personal possession at all times is a misdemeanor criminal offense subject to 30 days in jail or up to a $100 fine.  8 U.S.C. § 1304 (e).  A lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed green card of a permanent or conditional permanent resident may be replaced using form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

How can I remove conditions on my permanent residency?
A conditional permanent resident is someone who receives a green card for 2 years.  To eliminate the conditional status, a conditional permanent resident needs to file a petition to remove the condition within 90 days prior to the expiration of the conditional green card generally using form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence, but in some circumstances using form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.  A conditional permanent resident who does not petition to remove the conditions during the 90 days before the card expires can lose permanent resident status and be subject to removal.  

What do I need to know about travelling outside the US as a green card holder?
When you re-enter the United States after travelling abroad as a US permanent resident you must present a valid, unexpired, permanent resident (green) card at the port of entry, along with your other identification documents.  Permanent residents are able to travel abroad as desired, however if you remain outside of the United States for for longer than 1 year you may be found to have abandoned your US permanent residency.  A finding of abandonment may be found after trips outside the United States that last less than one year if it is believed that you did not intend to maintain permanent residence in the United States based on various considerations of connections to the United States that were or were not maintained during your absence.  If you plan to remain outside the United States for 1 year or longer, but less than 2 years, it is best to apply for a re-entry permit prior to leaving.  The re-entry permit will not be valid for more than 2 years, however a returning resident (SB-1) visa may be obtained by filing an Application to Determine Returning Resident Status at a US embassy or consulate.  Please note that travel outside of the United States for 6 months or more, while allowed, may disrupt the continuous residency requirement for naturalization.  If you plan to travel outside the US for 6 months or longer, you should consider filing an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization.  

Can I become a permanent resident if I am already in the United States or do I have to apply from abroad?
Yes, it is possible adjust your status and obtain permanent residency from within the United States in some circumstances.  Please see the information on adjustment of status or contact us to determine your eligibility for a getting a green card from within the United States.  
Free Case Evaluation
Please fill out the form below, or call us so that we may assess your case.
414-383-6700 in Milwaukee
262-650-6700 in Waukesha

Phone Number:  
The use of this form to communicate with the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship.  Do not include confidential information in this form.

Copyright 2012 by Gamino Law Offices, LLC | All rights reserved.
    1746 S. Muskego Ave. | Milwaukee, WI  53204 | 414-383-6700 

Criminal Defense Attorney
414-383-6700 Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin

Gamino Law Offices - Milwaukee Immigration Lawyer
Phones Answered 24/7
I have read the disclaimer.
I reviewed the